Everything on this website (identified as www.andtheoscargoesto.com or www.atogt.com) is protected by copyright and trademark laws.
ACADEMY AWARD(s)® and OSCAR(s)® are registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (A.M.P.A.S.). The Award of Merit (OSCAR) statuette is copyright © 1941 by A.M.P.A.S. The depiction of the OSCAR statuette is also a registered trademark and service mark of A.M.P.A.S.
This website is not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
While the nominees and winners of Academy Awards are public record, certain presentations of the data have been copyrighted in Academy publications.
Many of the photographs and other images used on this site were produced by motion picture studios to advertise and promote their films. The original production and distribution companies are listed on this site for all nominated films. The copyright to the images used belongs to these companies, their successors, or other companies formed through subsequent mergers and acquisitions of the original companies.
Many of these images have been restored, enhanced, or cropped for use on this site; however, this should not be construed as a transformation from their original form. Unless otherwise noted, all images used on this site are from the personal collection of the Webmaster.
Use of copyrighted material on this site meets the “fair use” guidelines of U.S. Code, Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976 (“Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use”). This code states, in part:
“. . . four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:
- The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
- The nature of the copyrighted work
- The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
- The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work”
In response to these considerations:
- This site is a nonprofit enterprise created solely for educational purposes and to generate additional interest in the films and individuals represented. It treats the original copyrighted property with dignity and respect.
- The copyrighted work used on this site was created to advertise and promote the Academy Awards, individual motion pictures, actors and actresses in those films, or the motion picture industry as a whole. That is exactly how the materials are used here.
- The amount of material used on this site is a small fraction of that produced to promote their original subjects.
- Use of copyrighted material on this site does not reduce the value of the material or the enterprises they were created to promote. If anything, their use on this site encourages additional interest in the subject matter and potential revenue for the copyright holders in the form of paid theatre attendance, purchase of commercial video recordings, or purchase of licensed merchandise.
The biographical and statistical data on nominees has been compiled from numerous sources. Where discrepancies were found, the consensus of several sources or the most authoritative single source was used. As a whole, the data on this site is a work of extensive research and is not the copyrighted output from any individual source.
All material not otherwise credited to another individual or company is copyright © 2004-2016 by Richard H. Brunner. All rights reserved. This includes, but is not limited to, the site’s overall design and layout; its database structure; database, web site, and application programming; original written material, such as descriptions, film synopses, trivia questions, and all articles or comments credited to “Flix.”